Monday, February 20, 2012

Eveleigh Markets

Lately I've started heading to Eveleigh Market on Saturday morning. Wow, what a great start to the weekend! It's fab really because it is so inspiring - it helps keep me in touch with what's in season and then, of course, that reflects in my beautiful dinners cooked in each of our stores through the week. Also, the trip gets me geared up for a lazy weekend of foodie adventures and puts great stuff in the fridge for my busy week ahead!

Last week I met Paul at his exotic mushroom stand. So magical, so enticing that I couldn't help but buy a bag. There were Swiss browns, lovely vivid orange pines from Oberon, cloud ears and fresh shiitake. Later the evening, I gently stirred my mushrooms into a silky risotto with a drizzle of Paul's precious truffle oil. Mmmm....

I visited Andrew at my favourite fruit and veg stand where I gathered a basket of kipfler potatoes, little baby carrots, a beautiful bunch of crisp and deep green silverbeet, and a few bunches of delicate and fragrant herbs. Andrew threw in a bunch of wild garlic and I was ready to go.


A quick stop at the free range chicken stand and I had a roast chook for our Sunday night dinner! The flowers are great at the market too, but the best thing ever is on the way out when I buy all of the Saturday papers. My true idulgence..... ha!!!!


This time of year is perfect for late summer stone fruit and for the second week in a row I couldn't walk past the stand selling the sweetest blood plums you could imagine. I poached them in cinnamon and star anise and served it with a big dollop of organic yoghurt on the side. Yummy!


Poached Sweet Blood Plums

2 cups water
3/4 cup raw sugar
2 cinnamon quills
3 star anise
1 vanilla bean pod, cut in half
1kg blood plums

  1. Bring the water and sugar to a rolling boil. Add the cinnamon, star anise and vanilla bean pod. Simmer for 5mins.
  2. Turn the heat to the lowest point possible and add the fruit. Poach slowly for 20mins or until tender. Remove the fruit from the syrup.
  3. Reduce the syrup by half or until you have a nice glaze. Pour over the fruit and refrigerate. Serve the poached blood plums with creamy yoghurt on the side.


My market-inspired dinners are ready by lunch time each day at both of my stores. Just view the 'Daily Dinner Menu' at www.simmonelogue.com

Happy cooking!

Simmone x


No comments:

Post a Comment